Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Non-Pregnant Woman and Other embarrassing moments


Have you ever embarrassed yourself in public? Have you ever been so humiliated you wanted to crawl under the covers and never come out?

• In 6th grade I tripped and spilt coffee all over our new minister’s wife’s white dress.
• My first day of college I fell down the stairs leading to the cafeteria in front of everyone. Fully down the stairs.
• Just a few years ago, I walked up to a visitor at our church, put my hand on her belly and said, “oh, you’re pregnant.” Her reply, “no, I’m just overweight.”

Open mouth. Insert foot.

Why am I reminiscing these terrible moments of embarrassment? I recently picked up a book on raising toddlers. The book encourages young mothers to quickly get over embarrassment. Chances are good that Austin will pick his nose in public, make embarrassing comments in public restrooms, and throw tantrums in the grocery store. One of my favorites quotes from the book says, “You are just a small player in someone else’s drama.” Wow! I needed to hear that. The world does not revolve around me and I am little self-obsessed if I think that Mrs. Jones is still crying over her coffee-stained dress or people are still talking about the freshmen who fell down the stairs. The precious woman visiting our church that day probably still remembers my words, but I am praying that she too quickly forgets.

My first reaction when I make a large scale mistake is to call my mom and dad just to hear words of affirmation. “Tell me you love me, mom.” I’ll say. She’ll quickly ask, “What is wrong?” “Oh, I just asked a woman if she was pregnant,” I’ll reply.

I am thirty years old, why do I still call my parents for affirmation? Because I know that no matter how big the mistake, my parents will continue to love me. Every night as a little girl my dad used to come in my room and sing, “Daddy loves his little girl, she’s the apple of his eye. Daddy loves her. Daddy loves her. Daddy loves his little girl.” On the days I make mistakes, I still want to hear… “Daddy loves you, Daddy loves you.”

Zechariah 2:8 says, “whoever touches you touches the apple of my eye.” As God’s chosen people, the Israelites were the apple of his eye. His precious and chosen people. Do you know that God feels that way about you? You are the apple of his eye. So, if today you are embarrassed. If you feel like you’ve made a mistake, I just want to remind you. “Daddy loves you. Daddy loves you.”

No comments: