Saturday, August 2, 2008

He Put a Song in my Heart!

My life is like a Disney musical. I am known to just break out in song! - unknown


I love to sing. I love to hear other people sing. Even if the other person can't carry a tune. I love knowing that something in their life is causing a song in their heart. So, last night when we were invited to a children's choir performance at Denton Bible Church, I couldn't say no! There is nothing better than hearing children sing! So, off we went to hear MacKenzie and Casey sing their heart out about Jesus.

MacKenzie (7) and Casey (10) - Ms. Carrie's daughters

Austin giving flowers to MacKenzie.

One of my favorite families!

Austin waiting for the girls after the show to give them their flowers.

When I think of music, I am reminded of Fanny Crosby, writer of over 9000 gospel hymns.
At the age of 6 weeks, Fanny Crosby lost all her eyesight due to a rare illness. Later in life a pastor spoke to her sympathetically about her blindness.
Fanny replied, ""Do you know that if at birth I had been able to make one petition, it would have been that I should be born blind?" "Why?" asked the surprised clergyman. "Because when I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior!"

Of all her 9000 songs, one was so private, that Fanny wouldn't share it with anyone. At a service led by D.L. Moody, Pastor Moody asked Fanny to get up in share a short testimony. After a brief hesitation, Fanny shared that one song was so personal she only sang it to herself. From her lips came the beautiful hymn.

Someday the silver cord will break,
and I no more as now shall sing;
but oh, the joy when I shall wake
within the palace of the King!
And I shall see Him face to face,
and tell the story--saved by grace!

Of all the prayers I pray for Austin, one is so personal and so sincere, that it is only said in the quiet of my own heart. It is a prayer that Austin will come to know this grace of Jesus at a very young age. Every night when I lay him down, I say a prayer over him that says, "Lord, help Austin to sleep soundly tonight. I ask that you would protect him and keep him safe. I ask that he would understand how much you love him and come to know you at a young age."

Years ago, I was babysitting for the precious Jim Sorenson family. Their daughter, about 4 at the time, knelt next to her bed and prayed, "Jesus, thank you for this day. I pray that I will accept you at a young age." She was obviously repeating a prayer that she heard her own parents pray over her every night, but I was so touched. I want Austin to know that same prayer.

But in the quietness of my heart, I extend that prayer to ask the Lord to reveal himself to Austin, to show himself in a mighty way to my son, for Austin to love Jesus more than he ever loves anything.

I want him to fully understand perhaps the most famous words of Fanny Crosby...

Blessed Assurance, Jesus is MINE
Oh what a foretaste of glory divine!

No comments: