Sunday, January 18, 2009

We Love our Lovies!

When I was a little girl, I had a lovie (a blanket that I absolutely loved). It was soft on one side and silky on the other. I would rub it between my fingers and carried it with me everywhere I went. I especially needed my blankie at night to go to sleep.

There was something so comforting about having my blankie. My blankie was rather large, however, so as I started to attend preschool, my mom would cut a tiny square off of blankie everyday and sew it up. I would take the small square with me to preschool and every day at nap time, I would pull out my little blankie squre to comfort me.

When Austin was born, I received a beautiful lamb lovie for him with his name embroidered on the soft white fabric. Austin loved "Lambert" and carried him everywhere we went. Unfortunately, on a mission trip when he was six months old, we dropped Lambert in Mexico slum.
We never found him.

I called my mom crying, "Mom, I lost Lambert!"
(Yes, mothers are much more attached to their childrens' blankies at this age than the child, but I was a first time mom!)

Immediately my mom ran to the store, but no more lambs were in stock. She bought an alternate... a small, yellow duck and overnighted it to our apartment in Denton.

And so, "Quack Quack" was born.


Austin meeting "quack quack" for the first time.



Austin sleeping with "quack quack"



Austin with a lovie on his first day of school.

Perhaps it is because I had my own special blankie as a child. Perhaps I understand how intimidating the world can be at times. Perhaps I still want to rub silk through my fingers at moments for the calming effect. Despite my reasons, Austin can keep his "Quack Quack" as long as he wants.
This Christmas, however, I accidentally left this precious friend in Gainesville when we went back to my parents.
"Where is quack quack?" Austin asked about an hour into our drive.
"Oh, sweetheart," I explained, "I left him at Granny's house. We will get him in a couple of days."
Tears welled up in my son's eyes.
"I just want quack quack," he cried.

A few days later when we reconnected with Granny, I left Quack Quack on Austin's car seat for him to find.
"Oh, Quack Quack," he said, "There you are! I have missed you so much."

Oh, Comfort!

As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you. Isaiah 66:13

Lord, I pray that as Austin grows he will find the comfort that comes only from you. Comfort in your arms. Comfort in the shadow of your wings.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yey! You're back, You're back! That store where Lambert came from... it's going out of business. Perhaps I can swing by and see if any of his friends are available at deeply discounted prices?!