Monday, September 15, 2008

Not at all Egocentric...

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

Here are just some examples of our recent conversations at home...

me: Who does Mommy love?
Austin: (screaming) AUSTIN!
he signs for more...
me: Who does Granny love?
Austin: AUSTIN!
me: Who does Daddy love?
Austin: AUSTIN!
still signing for more
I go through all Aunts and Uncles, cousins and grandparents
he still signs for more

me: Everybody, sweetie, Everybody loves Austin!
Austin: smiles and lays his head down for nap time.

WE all want to know we are loved, don't we!

I have been working with Austin on the letters in his name. This was our conversation today.

Can you tell me the letters in your name, Austin?

A-U-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z!!! and then he screams AUSTIN!

Well, that was a good try... let's look at the letters and try again...

A-U-S-T-I-N-Z!!! AUSTIN!!!

That was great, AJ, but there is no Z on the end of your name. Do you want to try again?

A-U-S-T-I-N!! AUSTIN!!!

Very good, buddy, that's your name!

Over an hour later, we were reading a book together called "Fun Farm."

Before I opened the book, I asked Austin if he saw any letters on the cover that he knew.

F-U-N F-A-R-M (he screamed!)

Do you know what that says, sweetie?

AUSTIN!!! (he screamed!)

Oh, well

"Lord, it is so easy to think that this world revolves around us! At the age of two, Austin already knows that he wants to be loved and he wants to talk about Austin! Please help him to come to an understand at a very young age that our lives revolve around YOU and YOUR GLORY. I ask that you would give Austin great sympathy and compassion for those around him, even in his little two year old class. I pray that you would help me to model a life lived for others rather than for myself."

No comments: