Sunday, September 14, 2008

Thoughts from a Preschool Teacher...

Psalm 127:3
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.


Our class learning the i sound for "itchy"How could I not love teaching?

Painting with egg yolks after reading green eggs and ham
short e sound


Last week, we were studying the short u sound - umbrella!

As I have been reading all my friends blogs lately, I have realized that many are sending their children away to preschool (many for the first time). I wanted to share some thoughts that might help both parents and teachers alike!

Please pack a change of clothes... One of my requests as a preschool teacher is that parents always pack a change of clothes in their child's book bag. You would be amazed at the responses I receive. My precious has never had an accident in her life. Little prince hasn't had an accident in over two years... I am so excited for princess and little prince. You would be amazed, however, at the number of children who don't want to come in from the playground in order to take a potty break and end up having their first accident in twelve years. Sometimes, we just need a change of clothes because there are 11 other children in the room, someone spills their juice at snack, it lands in your child's lap, and they don't want to be wet for the rest of the day.

I love what I do, and I would love to talk to you about it! I would love for you to ask me for my email address, phone number, etc. so that we can talk about school. I am a preschool teacher because I absolutely LOVE hanging out with your child all day. Typically, however, the beginning and end of school are the most hectic times of day and it is difficult for me to talk while I have 12 children jumping off tables in the back of the room.

I am putting this in here because I am not only a teacher, I am the mother of a preschooler and need to hear it... the most important one today...

Please try not to take things personally! Personal story, the other day when I picked up Austin, the teacher told me, "he startled me during nap time he was farting so loudly." Instead of laughing with the teacher and say, "That's my boy! He takes after his dad!" I started worrying the whole way home... Do I not feed Austin appropriately? Does she think that our family has bad manners? How can I teach Austin not to fart during a nap? Do I need to change his entire diet? I was taking it so personally. It is not personal!!!

I hope that this helps a little. I will try to add other "teacher tips" in days to come!

3 comments:

Kaity said...

AW! you are probably the best pre-school teacher ever!!!! You definitely live up to the "Do what you love and love what you do" saying!!!

DT Boy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DT Boy said...

You make me laugh. :)

So did you make any changes to Austin's diet to help prevent another "incident" during nap time?