Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Post Called Procrastination

We have had a busy week - swimming, playing, and learning. As I type, Austin is running around the room chasing a balloon. We are having a discussion about whether or not he wants pink balloons at his family birthday party. His fourth birthday is THIS WEEK! I cannot believe that four years have already come and gone. It seems like only yesterday I was preparing a nursery and sorting baby clothes by sizes (newborn, 3-6 months, etc.) Now Austin is wearing all 5T clothes and size 11 1/2 shoes!

DSCN3533

Austin spent the morning at Granny and Grandaddy's house while I went to a meeting, and then we came home and ate lunch together. We went swimming at the pool after lunch, and now I am trying to finish filling out all the paperwork for new jobs and new schools next year! Austin will hopefully attend our local church preschool where I will (hopefully!) work. I want to finish up these applications to turn them all in by tomorrow! I have missed teaching so much over the past year and look forward to being back in the classroom soon.

While Austin swam this afternoon, I did a lot of reading by the pool. I have a paper due for my last PhD class this coming week - and my last class presentation next weekend. Of course I am behind on my work, but somehow it always gets completed by the deadline.

Rather than writing or cleaning the house this afternoon, however, I decided that I would update the blog. As I stop every minute to help Austin with a new task, however, I am reminded why I normally only update my blog after he goes to bed. While writing the last three paragraphs, I have also helped complete four pages in a sticker book, blown up all the pink balloons (since they won't be needed at his family birthday party this weekend), and oooohhhed and ahhhhed over the creation he has made out of matchbox cars.

Tomorrow we will be at the University of Florida to attend the retirement party for my father-in-law. I will have lots of pictures! Dr. Q has worked at UF for the past 36 years, and we are all so proud of all the work he has done. We will have a fun day celebrating his retirement. (Perhaps he doesn't mind the color pink for his celebration.... mmmm...)

On Saturday, James and I are surprising Austin with a trip about two hours south. (Just imagine what city is approximately two hours south of Gainesville and you will know the surprise!) We are last minute planners, and last night James was able to use his Delta sky miles to book a hotel at a very fancy place. We are all very excited. We aren't planning to go into any parks, but just being in the area of "the mouse" will make Austin thrilled! James and I also know how to do a day of Disney for free while making Austin think he has experienced the true Disney World (see previous posts).

I am planning to spend a lot of time by the pool of our fancy hotel (oh, yes, while working on that dreaded paper). We will be back on Sunday for Austin's birthday party with James' side of the family. Austin informed me today that he is very excited about his party and all the "amazing presents that he is going to receive" (yes, those were his exact words). So, my dear in-laws, I hope that you are prepared. My son apparently has very high expectations for his birthday, and they do not include the color pink.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

I can't believe Austin's birthday is already here! I was looking at my facebook earlier this week and stumbled across the pictures from Austin's birthday party at Eureka Park, I can't believe that was my freshman year! I hope he has a glorious birthday! I wish the girls and I could be there to celebrate with you!

Jenny said...

Well, while I'm sitting at the exact same pool at the exact same hotel in the exact same city 24 hours after you leave, I won't be surprised if I'm wearing the exact same swimsuit & coverup you had on and plan the exact same "free" activities for our birthday celebration, too.

It's just too weird, are mom & dad just hiding from us that we truly were twins???

Anyway... to the real point, Happy Birthday Austin. I feel it was only last year that I came out to see your beautifully decorated nursery and sorted baby clothes as we all prepared to meet that little boy who is now 4 years old!!! Wow!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I think your blog is cute especially with pics of your kiddies. I was just browsing and happened to come across your blog