Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Best Kind of Friends

As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17

Austin and MacKensie (age 6) playing with swings

I have been blessed with rare friendships throughout my life. I am thankful for the kind of friends who inspire you to live a better life and support you through every step along the way. One of the most difficult parts of moving to a new place is the fear of not having one or two of these special kinds of friends.

God gave me new friends this year through my teaching job at FBC Denton. From the other women at work, I have received encouragement and inspiration to live my life as a Godly woman. I am so thankful for their advice about pacifiers, asthma, and potty training. More than anything else, I am thankful for their presence - the knowledge that someone is there to give a hug, a kind word, and especially their prayers.

My co-teacher, Ms. Carrie has been one of those rare kindred spirits you meet in your life. We laugh at the same things, roll our eyes at the same things, and both love Route 44 drinks from Sonic. What a blessing! We recently went over to Ms. Carrie's house for dinner where I got to watch her children care and play with little Austin.

I want Austin to find the richest of friends (no, not monetarily). I want his friends to be wise, to be fun, to make him laugh, and to encourage him to be a man of God.

"Lord, please surround Austin with iron sharpening type of friends. From his earliest moments in preschool through his college years, allow him to find friends easily to escape the depression that so easily comes from loneliness. Help him to inspire his friends to know Christ as they all encourage each other to live a life for you."



No comments: