Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Day at the Lake...

"I have come that they might have LIFE and have it to the full." John 10:10

On Saturday, we went to Grapevine Lake for a day of boating with the high school seniors from our church. On the way there, we passed a huge boat showroom.

Austin started yelling, "BOATS, MAMA, BOATS!"

"Yes, Austin," I replied, "Those are boats. We are going to the lake today where we are going to see boats. In fact, you might get a chance to ride on a boat."

Austin's eyes got huge as he realized what I had just said. He threw his hands up in the air with a huge yell and then started clapping. Wow! I just made this little boy's day with the thought of not only seeing a boat up close, but getting to ride on one.

I have so much to learn. I take so much for granted, and I had no idea that the thought of riding a boat would thrill my son's soul. In fact, it was only with a lot of convincing that I had even made this trip. The excuses were numerous the night before.

  • It is going to be so hot, tomorrow.
  • I have so much work to do around the house
  • I have papers to write
  • I just need a day at home with nothing to do.
As I saw Austin's reaction to the thought of a boating trip, I realized that I had almost missed a precious moment in my son's life - his first boat ride. I love how Austin loves life and I love how he throws his hands up in the air at the thought of a fun, new day. Austin not only enjoyed seeing the boats up close, but he also loved his boat ride.

I was reminded of John Piper's book, Desiring God today during a discussion with one of the high school seniors. In this book, Piper proposes the theology of Christian hedonism: God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in him. Am I satisfied in God today? Do I take pleasure in God? Do I throw my hands up in the air and say "YEAH!" and then sit in pure contentment at the thought of my relationship with God?

"Lord, please allow Austin to continue to love life! Enable him to find great satisfaction in the things that you have surrounded him with, but more than anything in the world, I ask that he would LOVE loving YOU!"

Life is simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

No comments: