Friday, July 11, 2008

I did it! I did it!


A few days ago I heard an unforgettable sound in the kitchen - the sound of something spilling and then the unmistakable "uh oh" coming from my two-year-old's lips.

"Uh, oh, mama!" "Uh oh!"

I walked slowly into the kitchen with both fear and trepidation for what I would find. "Oh, good," I told myself, "just pasta." As a parent of a two-year-old you quickly learn to realize what spills are easy to clean up (i.e. pasta) versus those that are more difficult (i.e. yogurt, orange juice, ground coffee, etc.) Yes, I have cleaned up each of these spills with Austin!

With Austin's advancing age comes new desires to do everything himself. "I do it!" is one of Austin's favorite new phrases. "I do it, mama!"

So, on this particular morning, Austin had decided that he was going to be in charge of fixing his own breakfast. The cereal and pasta are on the same shelf in my kitchen pantry, hence, the pasta explosion that commenced.

Later that morning we were having brunch for one of our precious college students, Yandi, before she left as a summer missionary to Nicaragua. Austin helped me create a beautiful fruit tray, but broke into tears when I told him I was going to take it to the table.

"I do it, mama!" he screamed.
"No, Austin, this is a mommy job," I replied as I carried the tray to the table.
A complete meltdown ensued as Austin went to the couch and cried, "I do it! I do it!"

I am so much like my two-year-old when it comes to getting things done. I will do it! I tell myself as I attempt to be an ideal wife, mom, teacher, or student. I will do it. So often, God brings me to my knees as he says, "no, this is a God job." and I cry out, "I do it! I do it!"

I learn so much daily about myself as I watch life through Austin's eyes. We have learned that there are many jobs that are just right for Austin. Pulling his "doggy" backpack, getting his toys ready for bath time, and even figuring out the dvd player!

This morning I asked him to put away his dishes from breakfast. He took them to the kitchen, put them on the counter and ran back to tell me with pure joy, "I did it, mama!" "I did it!"

"Dear God, in our eagerness for independence, we often attempt jobs that are not only mommy-sized, but God sized. Please enable Austin to understand that you will teach him and guide him throughout his life to show him that "with God all things are possible." It will only be through your strength and your plan that Austin will finish his life and say, "I did it! I did it!"









Austin pulling his doggy backpack!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Love it! I, too, know the difference between cleaning up coffee grounds vs. pasta shells. Isn't it great when you can be grateful for certain kinds of spills? Love your blog!