Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Lesson from Water Colors

"and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."
Ephesians 5:2

A few days ago, Austin and I had a few moments between the end of his nap and daddy's arrival home for dinner. A perfect amount of time for a water color lesson, I thought to myself, so Austin and I quickly went upstairs to do some painting. For the first several moments, Austin loved the idea of water colors, but then he quickly realized that he would have more fun playing and splashing the water in the bowl.


Since Austin was busy with other matters, I picked up another paintbrush (if you can call the $.99 kit of water colors and tiny stick a paintbrush) and began painting a wonderful rendition of a Clearwater sunset. (I thought that it was beautiful). As soon as Austin realized what I was doing, he let out a terrifying scream...

"NO, MAMA!"

"MINE!"

Yes, we have entered new territory at our house - my, mine, somehow always meaning Austin's...


"Lord, please teach Austin the value of sharing and sacrifice at a very early age. Enable James and I to teach him what it means to give sacrificially of ourselves to others that they might see Jesus in us. I ask that Austin would come to know your great sacrifice for him at a very young age, learning that this is all about you!"

You have never really lived until you've done something for someone who can never repay you.

No comments: